In honor of June being national safety month, here are some tips to help you be safe in the unfortunate event of an auto accident.
Safety tips for after an auto accident.
1) Keep calm.
2) Move your car to the side of the road, if it is possible.
3) Turn off the engine and avoid smoking.
4) Call the police and be sure to request an ambulance if necessary (if you think that you or someone else might be injured after an accident do not take chances; call an ambulance).
5) Inform the authorities. All auto accidents should be reported to the authorities, even if they are “not that bad”. An accident report should be ready for you in as little as one week, giving you all of the information needed about the accident.
6) Gather as much information as possible about the parties involved.
7) Take pictures of the scene of the accident, damage to the vehicles, skid marks, posted signs, etc.
8) Seek treatment within 14 days. If you are in ANY pain due to the accident, the new PIP laws require that you see a medical professional to seek treatment within 14 day of the accident.
9) Report the claim to your insurance (be sure to read your policy to see if there is a time limit for that).
10) .See an attorney. Though each case is different, there are statues of limitations to consider, and only an experienced attorney can advise you as to your rights.
From your friends at Rooney & Rooney, P.A.